Entrance Permits & Opinions


An Entrance Permit is required under the following circumstances on Dufferin County roads:

  • Construction of a new entrance
  • Changing the design of an existing entrance
  • Changing the location of an existing entrance
  • Changing the use of an existing entrance (i.e. the classification)
  • Construction of a temporary entrance
  • Paving of an existing entrance

Click here for a complete copy of the entrance policy

If your entrance is not on a County Road, please contact the local municipality responsible for that road. If you are unsure if your entrance is on a County Road, refer to the County Roads Map.

The following fees apply to entrance permits:

Classification Fee Deposit Total
Residential, Farm, Field $150 $500 $650
Commercial, Industrial, Institutional $450 $2,500 $2,950

The deposit portion is returned once the entrance has been given final approval. You must contact the Public Works office to request final approval.  You will be advised if there are any deficiencies.  Costs for any outstanding issues may be taken from the deposit. 

Note: Entrance Permits are valid for 6 months only at which time the deposit is forfeited.

Registered Property Owners may apply for Entrance Permits and/or Entrance Opinions. Agents/Others applying on behalf of Registered Property Owners are required to complete an Agent Authorization Form and submit as part of a complete Entrance Permit Application.

When you submit a completed Entrance Application Form and payment to the Public Works Department, ensure that you have clearly marked the proposed entrance. If it is an existing entrance include your emergency number on the application. New or relocated entrances may require a new Emergency Number (complete the appropriate section on the Entrance Application form).

A permit will be sent to you indicating all specifications for your construction including the County's Entrance Policy, detailed entrance diagrams, culvert size required, etc.

Dufferin County Entrance Permits for properties located within a regulated area will only be valid upon receiving the required approvals, agreements or permits from all other agencies having jurisdiction. Agencies in Dufferin County include:

  • Credit Valley Conservation Authority
  • Grand River Conservation Authority
  • Nottawasaga Conservation Authority
  • Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
  • Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
  • Niagara Escarpment Commission.

If you are not prepared to install the entrance within the next 6 months but wish to determine whether a location is viable, please use the same application form and indicate that you want an Entrance Opinion.  The fees are the same, however there is no deposit required.  You may then upgrade the opinion to a permit.  If this is done within 12 months of the Entrance Opinion being issued, the fee may be transferred and the deposit is due at that time.