Oversize Load Permits
Dufferin County follows the maximum weight and dimensional limits for loads as set by the Ministry of Transportation for Ontario (MTO):
- Length - combination of vehicle and load not to exceed 23 metres
- Width - combination of vehicle and load not to exceed 2.6 metres
- Height - combination of vehicle and load not to exceed 4.15 metres
Any vehicle and load combination on a Dufferin County road in excess of these amounts requires an Oversize Load Permit.
Please note that this permit covers Dufferin County Roads only. For travel on town and township roads please contact the town or township directly.
The County of Dufferin offers three types of Oversize Load Permits:
- Temporary Permit - $50/per. Valid for one transport for a specified time period
- Annual Permit - $250/per. Valid for the calendar year. The MTO has increased its options for Annual Oversize Load Permits by offering permit enhancements for specific types of loads. Dufferin County now offers similar options on the Annual Oversize Permit application.
- Special Annual Permit - $250/per. The MTO refers to these permits as Project Permits. Commonly used when 5 or more oversized loads are being moved within the calendar year, which do not conform to any of the Enhanced Annual Permit options. Additional reporting is required. Valid for the calendar year.
Allow a minimum of 2 business days for processing.
Load permit holders are strongly recommended to sign up for our email notifications of closures, lane restrictions, etc. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Oversize Load Permit Portal
The Oversize Load Permit Application process is now electronic! Visit the portal to sign up and apply for your permit.
The Oversize Load Permit Application process is now electronic! All applications are required to be submitted through our online Portal system.
We are dedicated to ensuring you have all the information required to make the process as smooth as possible. Before applying:
1. Register for a Municipal511 Portal account here.
2. Please note that the system will send you notices and confirmations through your email account. The sending address is: Permit Notifications email@example.com. Check your spam/junk folder if you are not receiving notices!
3. Ensure you have all required documents together to make a complete application package. Scroll through our checklists below!
- Full legal name of company, address, contact person, phone number and email address
- For agents representing transport companies: contact person, phone number and email address
- Valid insurance certificate:
- Naming the County of Dufferin as additional insured
- Coverage minimum $5,000,000.00, General Commercial Insurance which may include Umbrella coverage
- First page of all associated MTO permits
- Transport date range
- Route map completed on-line as part of your application submission
4. Have questions? We can be reached Monday to Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm at 519-941-2816 extension 2600 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org