The Ontario Works program provides financial and employment assistance to people in need.
About Ontario Works
If you are eligible:
- You will receive financial assistance to cover basic needs and shelter. The amount of money you may receive from Ontario Works (OW) depends on your family size, income, assets, and housing costs
- You get a monthly drug card
- You must take part in activities to find a job. Ontario Works has many supports to help you prepare for, find and keep a job
- If you cannot work because of a prolonged medical condition, you will be referred to the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- If you are estranged from your spouse, you will be referred to the Family Support Worker to help you get spousal support
- All potential sources of income, such as Employment Insurance, Worker's Compensation, and Canada Pension, will be reviewed and pursued if applicable
How Do I Apply for Ontario Works?
The application process is started with an online application or by telephone interview.
Click here to apply online through the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services. If preliminary eligibility requirements are met, an interview at the County office will be arranged.
To apply by phone, call 519.941.6991. An intake worker will ask questions about your situation and give you information about the program. All information provided during the telephone call is confidential. If preliminary eligibility requirements are met, an interview at the County office will be arranged.
General information can also be requested via email at email@example.com
Documents Required to Apply for Ontario Works:
- Social Insurance Number
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Proof of identity such as birth certificate
- Bank statements
- Verification of all assets
- Verification of all income
- School verification
- Proof of all accommodation costs
- Record of employment or last pay stub
- Proof of immigration status if required
Basic Financial Assistance
Applicants who qualify for Ontario Works Assistance can receive money to help cover the cost of their basic needs (food, clothing, etc) and shelter expenses. The amount of money they are eligible to receive depends on their:
- Family size;
- Age of dependents;
- Assets; and
- Shelter expenses