Summer Student - Forestry
The Dufferin County Forest is a 1,066 ha (2,636 acre) forest divided into fourteen tracts that are located across Dufferin County. It is managed by the County of Dufferin on a sustainable, multi-use basis. The Forest serves important functions in terms of erosion and water control, natural heritage protection, biodiversity, wildlife habitat, recreational opportunities, and support of the rural economy through timber production and employment opportunities.
Working under the direction of the County Forest Manager, the successful candidate will assist with forestry operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Inventory, trail and sign maintenance, public education and record keeping.
- Invasive species identification and removal.
- Operation of manual tools such as pruners and saws.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in an applicable Community College or University program.
- Must have and maintain a valid Ontario Driver’s License. There is no public transportation.
- Possess C.S.A. approved safety footwear.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of applicable forest ecology, silviculture and forestry procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively: both oral and written.
- Self motivated.
- Museum of Dufferin, 936029 Airport Rd., Rosemont, ON.