Summer Student - Community Engagement
Dufferin County sits on the fringe of the Greater Toronto Area, about 100 kilometres northwest of Toronto. It is largely a rural county with three urban settlement areas. The region is well known for its rivers, its rolling hills and its excellent outdoor recreation opportunities. Home to over 61,000 residents, the area boasts fabulous restaurants, shopping and amenities.
In 2019, Dufferin County launched a community engagement program and online portal called Join In Dufferin, and we need your energy and passion to take things to a new level this summer! Reporting to the Planning Coordinator and Economic Development Officer, you will represent Dufferin County and promote the Join In Dufferin program at a series of community events and spaces.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Promote the Join In Dufferin program through a branded booth at several community events over the summer, including co-ordination of the public registeration process and the setting up/tearing down of the booth.
- Assist with data collection and analysis relating to Join In Dufferin and other economic development initiatives.
- Prepare social media content for the Join in Dufferin pages, along with the economic development pages.
- Assist with the co-ordination and development of a schedule of projects to be featured on the Join In Dufferin online portal.
- Assist in the facilitation of public engagement initiatives for the My Community Rediscovered (MCR) planning project.
- Other duties and some administration tasks as assigned.
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful in this position:
- Preference will be given to post-secondary students enrolled in a economic development, business/marketing/ communications or planning program.
- Experience in data entry, preparing content for social media and website, responding to public inquiries in person, by phone and by email.
- Previous office administrative and customer service experience required.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle, as travel will be required.
- Able to work independently as well as participate as part of a team.
- Social media saavy, and advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Canva, along with ability to edit short videos an asset
- GIS knowledge an asset
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, customer service and hospitality, both verbal and written.
Job Location and hours
- Municipal Building, 55 Zina St
- Event locations within the community
- Candidate must be available after hours and weekends to attend events