The Ontario Works program provides financial and employment assistance to people in need.
About Ontario Works
You might be eligible for Ontario Works if you:
- are in financial need, meaning you and your family do not have enough money to cover your living expenses
- are 16 years of age or older
- live in Ontario (and are not a visitor or a tourist)
- have assets within the allowable asset limits
Ontario Works offers:
- money to help you and your eligible family members with living expenses, including food and rent
- health benefits for you and your eligible family members
- employment supports to help you find and keep a job (such as workshops for resume writing, job counselling, job-specific training and basic education)
If you are eligible for Ontario Works, the amount of money you receive will depend on your specific situation. In most cases, you must participate in employment-related activities to receive financial help. You could receive up to $733 a month for basic needs and shelter if you are single.
You may receive more than this for:
- benefits (for example, you might get additional money for transportation to medical appointments)
- other immediate family members (for example, if you have a spouse or child you will receive a larger amount)
Ontario Works Directives can be found here.
Click here for more information on supports offered through Ontario Works.
How Do I Apply for Ontario Works?
The application process is started with an online application or by telephone interview.
Click here to apply online through the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services. If preliminary eligibility requirements are met, an interview at the County office will be arranged.
To apply by phone, call 519.941.6991. An intake worker will ask questions about your situation and give you information about the program. All information provided during the telephone call is confidential. If preliminary eligibility requirements are met, an interview at the County office will be arranged.
General information can also be requested via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents Required to Apply for Ontario Works:
- Social Insurance Number
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Proof of identity such as birth certificate
- Bank statements
- Verification of all assets
- Verification of all income
- School verification
- Proof of all accommodation costs
- Record of employment or last pay stub
- Proof of immigration status if required
Click here for a full list of documents required for application to Ontario Works
Did you know you can access information about your case, report income, and change your address online?
Frequently used forms for Ontario Works can be downloaded by clicking the links below.
Ontario Works Appeal Form
Request an appeal from the Social Benefits Tribunal...
Ontario Works Casual Earning Form
Report casual or cash income when you do not have any documentation....
Ontario Works Child Care Receipts Form
Report monthly child care costs. ...
Ontario Works Medical Transportation and Travel Expense Form
Request reimbursement for medical transportation and travel expenses....
Ontario Works Rental Information Form
Landlords to complete this form for residents that do not have lease or mortgage documents....
Ontario Works Request for Internal Review Form
Request an internal review of your case. ...
Statement of Income Card and Changes Report
Form for Statement of Income and Changes Report...