Child Care Fee Subsidy

Dufferin County offers a Child Care Fee Subsidy to eligible families who have children between 0 - 12 years of age.

Please be advised that there may be a waitlist for Child Care Fee Subsidy.

hand prints in paint

Eligible situations: Parents/Guardians must be working, or attending an approved education program, or fulfilling a participation agreement with Ontario Works, or be in receipt of a referral from a Community Agency or appropriate medical professional (see below for Recognized Needs Referral Form). Eligibility for Child Care Fee Subsidy is based on both income and eligible hours of care.

The Income Test is based on the income of the applicant as reported on their Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment. Assets, debts and living expenses are not considered under the Income Test.

How do I apply for Child Care Fee Subsidy?

1. Complete the Fee Subsidy Intake Form found below either electronically or by printing it out.  

2. Return the completed form with all required documents to the Community Services Office or the Shelburne Employment Resource Centre. Electronic applications are also accepted at

3.  You will be contacted by phone and asked to attend a verification interview. Note that there may or may not be a wait time required to schedule the interview.

4.  During your verification interview, a Community Services Worker will determine if you are eligible for Child Care Fee Subsidy in Dufferin County. The Community Services Worker will discuss how much the Child Care Fee Subsidy Program will pay to the child care provider.

5.  Child Care Fee Subsidy clients may be required to attend an office appointment every six months to update and review eligibility requirements.

*Please ensure you notify your Community Services Worker immediately if your address or telephone number changes. For more information, please contact us at 519.941.6991 ext. 2223 or

The Community Services Office is located at 30 Centre St, Orangeville.

The Shelburne Employment Resource Centre is located at the Mel Lloyd Centre, Entrance E, 167 Centre St, Shelburne. 

Click here for more information on supports offered through Children's Services

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I apply while I am still on maternity/parental leave, before I return to work?

    Yes, you can apply as soon as you are able to provide identification for your child (example: statement of live birth, birth certificate, or valid green health card). Please include your month/year of return on your application.

  • I don’t have a child care space secured yet, but I am on several waitlists, or I am looking for a space. Can I apply for child care fee subsidy?

    Yes, you can apply as soon as you expect you will require child care. You may be looking for a child care space at the same time as applying for subsidy.

  • I am moving to Dufferin County. Can I apply for child care fee subsidy in Dufferin?

    If you have verification of your new address within Dufferin County (example: rental agreement, mortgage statement/real estate purchase documents) you may apply for child care fee subsidy in Dufferin County. However, you cannot receive subsidy through Dufferin County until the date of your move.

  • I am moving out of Dufferin County, can I apply for or continue to receive child care fee subsidy?

    If you are moving out of Dufferin County, you will need to apply for child care fee subsidy in the region you are moving to. If you are already receiving child care fee subsidy, you must notify your community services worker, and your subsidy with Dufferin will end on the day that you move.

  • I live in Dufferin but would like to access child care in another region. Will subsidy still apply at a child care location outside of Dufferin?

    Dufferin County does have agreements with some neighboring regions in order to allow families accessing child care fee subsidy in Dufferin to access child care in other areas. This is dealt with on a case by case basis, and may not always be available depending on the status of subsidy and child care spaces in other regions.