Waste Outreach Summer Student Assistants (2)
Are you passionate about environmental issues? Would you like to share that passion with the members of your community? If your answer is yes, this may be a great opportunity for you. Working under the direction of the Waste Services Manager, the successful candidates will assist with a neighbourhood project in the summer of 2021!
What you’ll do
- Undertake enthusiastic outreach for a “curbside neighbourhood campaign” around increasing the use of curbside green bins for composting, and making sure everyone understands what does and does not go into the blue box for recycling
- Engage children and other community members around composting, recycling, and waste reduction at a variety of events throughout the County
- Provide excellent customer service by responding in-person, over the phone and by email to residents’ questions about all of the County’s waste programs
- Delivery of blue boxes and green bins to distribution locations around the County and program participants
- Additional tasks as required within the Waste Services Division.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Current enrollment in secondary or post-secondary education, returning to studies in the fall of 2021
- A valid G or G2 Ontario Driver’s License would be considered an asset
- Clear Criminal Reference Check including the vulnerable sector
- Knowledge and interest in the environment and waste diversion
- Enthusiastic and outgoing - enjoy working with the public and community
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively; both oral and written
- Self-motivated with the ability to function independently and as part of a team
- Light to medium lifting will be required
- Availability to work 35 hours per week with a typical work week being Monday through Friday
- Willingness to work on weekends as required by the position for outreach functions and events.