Program Assistant- Temporary Full Time (4-month contract)
Reporting to the Housing Program Supervisor, the Program Assistant provides a wide range of program and
administrative support services to staff and clients which support the delivery of Community Services
What you’ll do
- Provide excellent customer service (in-person and over the phone) by greeting visitors/clients, determining service required, responding to questions, scheduling/rescheduling appointments, and taking messages/re-directing to staff/agencies
- Make appropriate referrals to support clients (i.e. referrals to community housing, employment services, child care subsidy, external community agencies, etc.)
- Provide clients with required program information, forms and applications and assist in completing the forms and applications where needed
- Perform data entry and changes into relevant database(s) to record and validate client information from phone calls and/or personal visits
- Act as a liaison for clients and work to empower clients to advocate for themselves
- Complete third party checks. (Equifax, Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO), OSAP, Employment Insurance (EI), etc.)
- Process cheques/payments within prescribed timelines and complete monthly cheque runs for clients and service providers as required
- Keep record of all incoming payments, repayments, reimbursements and cancelled cheques
- Accept rental payments as required from tenants
- Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring
- A post-secondary certificate or diploma in Social Services, Human Services or a related field.
- A minimum two (2) years demonstrated experience working in a social services environment providing administrative support
- Exceptional customer service skills with respect to providing accurate information to and communicating with, service providers, the general public and/or staff to address a variety of inquiries
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving and multi-tasking skills with the ability to meet deadlines and assess priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to facilitate interaction with management, employees and representatives from external agencies including the general public
- Knowledge and understanding of supports required in servicing a vulnerable population
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and conflict resolution techniques
- A clear criminal reference check including vulnerable sector screening.