Museum Interpreter- Temporary Full Time
Reporting to the Museum Services Manager, the Museum Interpreter conducts tours of the museum's exhibitions and grounds, answer inquiries and provides information concerning exhibits or the museum site. The Museum Interpreter will engage the community through workshops and programs while also raising the profile of museum’s programs and events. This position will increase visitation and participation, recruit volunteers, and engage the public through a variety of ways, including storytelling, community outreach, and delivering educational content through workshops and programs.
What you’ll do
- Preparation of program materials (purchasing supplies, preparing crafts, etc.)
- Assists Education Programmer with set up and tear down of programs, large events, and outreach events
- Assists Education Programmer with preparing programs, workshops, learning activities by conducting historical research, writing lesson plans or activity plans, and using community networks to identify the public needs/interests
- Assists Education Programmer with training summer staff on program delivery (ex. Summer camps)
- Works closely with the Education Programmer to design new programs and outreach opportunities based on exhibition schedule and seasonal opportunities
- Activates/engages with community members at outreach events (ex. POW WOWs, Fairs, Markets, etc.) and spreads news of the museum’s offerings
- Building community with diverse audiences by sharing MoD site history and Dufferin County histories through storytelling, dialogue, and inquiry;
- Responsible for building connections in the community, including non-for-profits, BIPOC communities, Indigenous Nations, etc.
- Delivers museum designed programs both in the museum as well as in outreach programs in the community - Senior’s homes, community living centers, schools, etc.
- Delivers tours of the museum and the museum’s grounds
- Collaborating with supervisors and colleagues in a clear and timely manner;
- Adhering to Museum policies and procedures.
- Attending weekly team meetings
- Manages a pool of volunteers for special outreach events