Full Time Building Inspector
Reporting to the Chief Building Official, the Building Inspector is responsible for the enforcement and inspection of architectural and structural systems, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, water supply/sewage disposal and demolition for houses, small buildings, large buildings, complex buildings and designated structures as defined by the Ontario Building Code.
What you’ll do
- Review and inspect the structural, architectural, life safety, plumbing, mechanical and sanitary components of all buildings regulated under the Ontario Building Code (OBC) to ensure conformance with the OBC and related standards;
- Produce legible, concise, complete, and accurate reports; maintain a record of field inspections;
- Liaise with property owners, contractors, engineers, architects and other departments regarding matters related to construction activity;
- Investigate and respond to complaints from the public relating to the Ontario Building Code.
What you’ll bring
- A (3) three-year program in architectural or engineering technology at an accredited College of Applied Arts and Technology (Ontario) or an acceptable equivalent;
- A minimum of three years’ municipal experience in building code enforcement or equivalent experience in commercial and residential design and construction;
- Must have successfully completed or are actively working towards completion of the provincially mandated examination program administered by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing relating to: Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code;
- Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) through the Ontario Building Officials Association (consideration for those capable of being certified within reasonable time).