Chief Building Official - Permanent Full Time
Reporting to the Director of Development and Tourism, the Chief Building Official is responsible for for duties regulated under the Ontario Building Code Act for the administration and enforcement of the Ontario Building Code for 7 of the 8 local municipalities in Dufferin County. This position ensures that the proper inspections are carried out applicable to the Building Code, municipal by-laws and any other regulations pertaining to building, plumbing and sewage system from commencement of construction to occupancy clearance.
What you’ll do
- Manage the enforcement of Provincial Statutes and Regulations under the Ontario Building Code, and all other applicable laws as they apply to buildings and structures.
- Recruit, supervise, manage and develop Building Inspectors including mentoring, coaching, scheduling and evaluating staff
- Responsible for by-Law enforcement as required
- Maintain confidentiality of information acquired in the course of the review of building proposals
- Represent the County at relevant legal proceedings or special hearings
- In accordance with the Ontario Building Code, responsible for the preparation of an annual report for public viewing regarding building permit fees authorized, and costs to the County to administer and enforce the Ontario Building Code Act
- Interpret the County’s Development Charges By-Law to determine if a proposed development is subject to development charges, and collects the appropriate fees
- Assess alternate solutions by reviewing proposal, acceptability and authorizes compliant alternatives
- Collaborate with building department staff to ensure consistent and exceptional customer service
- Responsible, as a Supervisor under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, to ensure that the work environment is maintained in a healthy and safe condition, and that workers are aware of all potential and existing work-related hazards. Provide ongoing safety education and evaluate the health and safety performance of employees, and Prepare planning policies, by-laws and standards
- Perform other related duties as assigned.