Administrative Support Specialist - Building (12-month contract)
This position is responsible for providing administrative support to the Building Services Department, which includes assistance relating to building applications and permits, and scheduling inspection appointments.
What you’ll do
- Provide customer service support by responding to incoming phone calls and assisting visitors
- Receive applications for building, septic, and demolition permits from residents and contractors.
- Submit building permit applications for planning review
- Notify applicant when permit is ready and provide instruction on related inspection requirements
- Receive fees for permits, issue receipts, provide funds for deposit to Treasury, and balance permits monthly
- Compile and enter permits, receipts, inspections, and other department data into the system
- Maintain all department files including reports, plans, permits, orders, correspondence, and related material
- Prepare responses to lawyer’s letters for building and septic compliance, clearance of stop work orders and orders to comply on property throughout Dufferin County
- Review files for outstanding work orders
- Provides administrative support to the Chief Building Official and department
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly statistical reports and submit required reports to Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation and Statistics Canada and local municipalities
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
What you’ll bring
- Post-secondary community college (two years) education in business administration or secretarial field or equivalent in experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Must be discreet and tactful due to the sensitive nature of information, the ability to maintain confidentiality is essential
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to meet pressure filled deadlines