Request Documents

Having troubles with a failing septic tank? Need a copy of your Occupancy Permit? Dufferin County keeps building and septic permit records for each property. This information is available to the current home owner – most times at no charge!


Requesting Property Information

You can obtain property information either in person with a valid photo ID or you can call us at 519.941.2816 ext. 2700. A Building Services team member will ask you questions about the property in order to confirm your identity.

A few things to keep in mind:

  • The Ontario Building Code came into effect in 1975 and Dufferin County Building Services took over septic records from Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health in 1997. We may not have any records if your home is older than either of those dates but we will still be happy to check for you!
  • For access to some records, you may need to file a Freedom of Information request. 
  • If you are looking for information regarding your well, please contact the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks at 1.888.396.9355 or visit their website 
  • If you are seeking a legal survey of your property, please contact the Land Registry office at 519.941.4654
  • If you have questions regarding severances, please reach out to your local Town/Township. Contact information can be found here

Compliance Letters

Requests for information on a property that you do not own must be submitted in writing and accompanied by the appropriate fee.

The fee for a building records search is $100 per land parcel, and the fee for a septic records search is $100 per land parcel. Dufferin County has up to 5 business days to respond in writing to your request.

Contact Building Services

Some services continue to be offered by appointment only. Please call before visiting.

519.941.2816 x 2700

W. & M. Edelbrock Centre, 30 Centre Street, Orangeville, ON L9W 2X1

Monday through Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm