stop sign

Orders are issued by Dufferin County as outlined in the Ontario Building Code Act to ensure that all buildings are constructed safely, to Code standards, and have inspections completed at each phase of construction.

Types of Orders that are used to enforce compliance are:

  • Order Requiring Tests and Samples
  • Stop Work Order
  • Order to Uncover
  • Order Not to Cover or Enclose
  • Order to Comply

When a Stop Work Order is issued, no person shall perform any act in the construction or demolition of the building in respect to which the Order is made other than work necessary to carry out the Order to Comply, the Order Not to Cover or Enclose, or the Order to Uncover (Building Code Act, 1992, s. 14).

Failure to comply with an Order is an offence which could result in a fine (Building Code Act, 1992, s. 36).

Orders may also be registered in the proper land registry office or viewed by the public at Dufferin County Building Services.

Building without a Permit

If you do not have a permit for construction that has already started, you could face serious and potentially costly consequences, including:

  • A building without a permit penalty. This is an additional fee equal to 25 percent of the permit fees for the project, or $180.00, whichever is greater.
  • A delay while your permit application is processed. All work must stop during this time. The original timeline and fees to process an application still apply.
  • Possibly having to undo the work that was done.
  • Possibly having to do more work than you had originally planned and budgeted for, such as additional structural or mechanical work.
  • Possible legal and /or financial issues down the road, such as impacts on selling your property or making an insurance claim.

NOTE: As the property owner, you are responsible for paying these fees or penalties, even if you have hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not needed.

If you are concerned that someone is building without a permit, please contact Building Services at 519.941.2816 ext 2700 or follow the link below.