Filing a Complaint
Building without a Permit
If you do not have a permit for construction that has already started, you could face serious and potentially costly consequences, including:
- A building without a permit penalty. This is an additional fee equal to 50% of the permit fees for the project, or $200.00, whichever is greater.
- A delay while your permit application is processed. All work must stop during this time. The original timeline and fees to process an application still apply.
- Possibly having to undo the work that was done.
- Possibly having to do more work than you had originally planned and budgeted for, such as additional structural or mechanical work.
- Possible legal and /or financial issues down the road, such as impacts on selling your property or making an insurance claim.
NOTE: As the property owner, you are responsible for paying these fees or penalties, even if you have hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not needed.
To file a complaint with the Building Division, you can reach out to a Building Services team member at 519.941.2816 ext. 2700 or email email@example.com
All complaints received are confidential, however anonymous complaints will not be investigated.