Dufferin County provides building services for the following Municipalities: Amaranth, East Garafraxa, Grand Valley, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, and Shelburne.
If you are constructing or demolishing in the Town of Orangeville, please visit their website.
For zoning information, please reach out to your local Town/Township. Click here for contact information.
As a property owner, it is your responsibility to ensure all applicable permits have been obtained prior to the start of construction.
Building without a Permit
If you do not have a permit for construction that has already started, you could face serious and potentially costly consequences, including:
- A building without a permit penalty. This is an additional fee equal to 50% of the permit fees for the project, or $200.00, whichever is greater.
- A delay while your permit application is processed. All work must stop during this time. The original timeline and fees to process an application still apply.
- Possibly having to undo the work that was done.
- Possibly having to do more work than you had originally planned and budgeted for, such as additional structural or mechanical work.
- Possible legal and /or financial issues down the road, such as impacts on selling your property or making an insurance claim.
NOTE: As the property owner, you are responsible for paying these fees or penalties, even if you have hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not needed.