A good strategic plan is used every day. It guides staff work and informs Council’s decisions. It has the following qualities:
- Mission and values
- Vision – what the municipality aspires to be like in 10 years or longer
- Identified priority areas/strategic themes for the next 4 years (max of 3-5 themes)
- Clear outcomes – success means X, Y or Z have been accomplished
- Realistic given resource constraints
- Specific discussion of progress monitoring and reporting process
- Brief and easy to read.
A good strategic plan does not include details regarding how the outcomes will be achieved. These details fall to departmental implementation plans.
The strategic plan process involves Council, staff, numerous external stakeholder groups, and residents at large.
“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” - Yogi Berra
The previous strategic plan spanned the 2015-2018 term and identified four key priority areas and a number of objectives. This plan guided the work of both Council and staff and proved effective in focusing department operating goals and budgets.
To review our previous Strategic Plan, please click here.
Strategic planning that aligns with the term of Council serves a number of purposes:
- Identifies what Council collectively hopes to accomplish in that time
- Creates a medium term plan for progress towards a longer-term vision
- Considers multiple dimensions of the organization’s priorities - e.g. programs, services, reputation, organizational excellence, infrastructure, HR, governance, etc. not just land use and infrastructure planning
- Ensures Council and Administration are on the same page
- Provides direction for departmental plans and budgets
- Serves as a key component in the accountability relationship between the CAO and Council.
Once the Strategic Plan is approved by Council, the CAO is responsible for leading the implementation.
Dufferin County welcomes the public to join one of our upcoming stakeholder sessions:
|April 2nd, 2019||6:00 pm||Mel Lloyd Auditorium - Entrance 'C'||167 Centre St, Shelburne, ON L9V 1R8|
|April 10th, 2019||2:00 pm||Monora Park - Lower Multi-Purpose Room||500 Monora Park Dr, Mono, ON L9W 0E1|
|April 10th, 2019||7:00 pm||Grand Valley & District Community Centre||90 Main St N, Grand Valley, ON L0N 1G0|